Vitamin D overdose sends the man to hospital in the UK

A man took too many supplements in the UK.

A man took too many supplements in the UK.
SCIENTIFIC PHOTOGRAPHIC LIBRARY via Getty Images

In the UK, a man was hospitalized from an overdose of vitamin D, CNN reports.

The Brit therefore took 375 times the recommended amount of vitamin D.

Due to the high dose, the man suffered from nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea and had to be hospitalized for eight days.

In the UK, a man was hospitalized from an overdose of vitamin D, CNN reports. After visiting a dietician, the Brit took 375 times the dose normally recommended for an adult male. In the following weeks, the man suffered from nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Apparently the man had already heard of the nutritionist and dietary supplements on a British radio show. He then contacted the counselor personally, according to a report in the medical journal “BMJ Case Reports”. Alamin Alkundi, co-author of the report, said: “Regulatory registration is not mandatory for dieticians in the UK and their title is not protected, allowing anyone to practice as a dietician.”

Vitamin D overdose can have serious consequences

Like vitamins A, E and K, vitamin D is stored in the liver and fat cells. With an overdose, the risk of intoxication of the body increases. The heart can also be attacked by overdose. In the worst case, a patient could end up in a coma.

After symptoms began, the man stopped taking the supplements. However, his situation has not improved. After two months, the Briton had to be hospitalized. Before that, he lost a total of 12.7 kilograms and damaged his kidneys, it is said. The man then spent eight days in the hospital. Even two months after his hospitalization, vitamin D levels were still higher than usual, according to the report.

you read too

These four supplements can be deadly when combined with prescription drugs

kh

Leave a Comment