© APA / APA / dpa / Andrea Warnecke
Skin rash, tingling in the mouth and throat, circulatory problems – even a single peanut can cause these symptoms if you have an allergy. A so-called anaphylactic shock can also be life-threatening. Good preparation helps ensure that peanut allergy doesn’t cause accidents during the holidays. This is especially true for families with an allergic child, according to nutritionist Yvonne Braun of the Nut Anaphylaxis Network (NAN).
Good preparation includes these three measures:
Even before the trip begins, affected families should check what local medical care is like. Is it easy to get to a doctor’s office or hospital? This information can be crucial if severe allergic shock occurs during the holidays. “It is also important to take out up-to-date travel health insurance for family members and make sure it covers the costs even in the case of severe allergic reactions,” advises Yvonne Braun. So there are – even financially – no nasty surprises.
“Are there peanuts in this dish?”: It makes sense to know this phrase in the language of the destination country. Terms like doctor’s office, allergy, or pharmacy can also help affected families communicate in an emergency. The Nut Anaphylaxis Network recommends translation apps on smartphones.
Those affected should also have their allergy pass and emergency medication set ready when they are out and about. Good to know: A travel medical certificate is required in order for the adrenaline auto-injector, which includes a syringe, to be allowed on the plane. According to nutritionist Braun, it is best to have them with you in English.
“Also, the adrenaline auto-injector is temperature sensitive,” Braun warns. It can be stored up to a maximum of 25 degrees so that it retains its effect. If you have a special cooler bag with you, you are well equipped on vacation.