The man poisoned himself with vitamin D

Doctors warn of a “medically unjustified tendency towards vitamin D and the corresponding hypervitaminosis”. Current cause: A man in Britain poisoned himself with the preparation and had to be treated in a hospital. Treating physicians report on the case in BMJ Case Reports. Several media outlets are now citing the analysis.

As a result, the man followed the advice of a nutritionist and took more than 20 over-the-counter food supplements, including 50,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D three times a day. The result: weeks of nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, pain and leg cramps.

According to the report, the man lost more than twelve kilograms of body weight and was constantly thirsty. Although he stopped taking all supplements after four weeks due to symptoms, he continued to feel sick. His family doctor then sent him to the hospital.

Diagnosis: hypervitaminosis D

The diagnosis for the middle-aged man: hypervitaminosis D, that is, poisoning from taking too much vitamin D. According to experts, the value of vitamin D was about seven times higher than normal. The patient’s calcium and magnesium values ​​were also significantly increased.

The Robert Koch Institute (RKI) clarifies: “Excessive intake of vitamin D causes an increase in calcium levels (hypercalcemia) in the body, which can lead to acute nausea, loss of appetite, abdominal cramps, vomiting or, in the worst cases. severe, kidney damage, heart arrhythmias, unconsciousness and death. “And he warns,” Because vitamin D can be stored in the body, both acute and gradual overdoses are possible. “According to case study co-author Dr. Alamin Alkundi , nutritionist not required to register, even his title is not protected.

Leave a Comment