- Why people start smoking at all?
- What motivates people a to quit smoking?
- Why do you get fat at all?when do you stop smoking?
- This is how it works Quit smoking without gaining weight
Smoking is harmful to health. Many smokers therefore want to give up cigarettes forever. However, what often prevents many from doing this is Fear of gaining weight. In fact, many people gain a few pounds after quitting smoking. However, there are a few useful measureswhich can cushion or even prevent weight gain.
Why do people start smoking?
At first glance, there seems to be nothing in favor of smoking. Spreads stinkaccelerates the skin aging And harms health massive – even those of passive smokers. Because exhaled tobacco smoke partially contains more toxic substances compared to traditional smoking. However, many people take a cigarette at some point and, at worst, can’t get rid of it. Here are some reasons why people start smoking:
- Promises of the tobacco industry: Tobacco manufacturers and cigarette manufacturers advertise with one special attitude to lifethat smoke brings with it. Freedom, fun and adventure are values that smoking should bring with it. This particularly attracts young people and makes them want to try it. But: Tobacco advertising will soon be largely banned in Germany. Advertising measures in the press, Internet, radio and television are no longer permitted. From January 2022 the advertising ban will also apply to outdoor advertising, from January 2023 the advertising ban will also be extended to the so-called tobacco heaters and from January 2024 to electronic cigarettes and refill containers.
- Smoking as a means of weight control: In fact, cigarettes contain active ingredients which, on the one hand, Curb the appetite and on the other hand increase metabolism. Both reasons that can make it easier to lose weight and make the path to the dream figure presumably closer. However, smoking doesn’t help with weight loss.
- Smoking relaxes and increases memory: Nicotine is known to be reaches the brain within 10 seconds and it stimulates some receptors here. As a result, more neurotransmitters are released, such as dopaminethe one with the reward center related. He also becomes serotonin and the opioid of the body Endorphin more and more product. On the one hand, this has a calming effect, but it also increases memory and attention.
- Pandemic fuels increase in the number of smokers: For adult smokers it was possible there has been an increase since the start of the corona pandemic become, but not among the young. Experts suspect that people who previously quit smoking are now having a relapse. Maybe she too increased work at home it has led people to find more opportunities to smoke. Furthermore, the stress caused by the corona pandemic is not to be underestimated Stress factor which may have encouraged people to smoke cigarettes.
- Beginning of smoking especially in adolescence: About nine out of ten long-term smokers have it when they are young between 14 and 19 years started smoking, reports addiction expert Professor Dr. Daniel Kotz. In middle age, it is rare for people to consider starting smoking.
What prompts people to quit smoking?
The health risks caused by smoking are avoidable. They die every year in Germany 127,000 people the consequences of tobacco consumption. Around 31% of German women and men aged 14 and over are smokers, while men are more likely to smoke cigarettes.
In the German survey on smoking behavior (DEBRA study), face-to-face surveys on tobacco consumption and alternative nicotine delivery systems (ANDS, such as e-cigarettes and tobacco heaters) have been conducted every two months in the German population since 2016.
The German Center for Cancer Research cites the following reasons that motivate people to quit smoking:
- The risk Krebs reduce getting sick
- The risk for cardiovascular disease diminish
- To die lung function to improve and reduce the risk for breathing problems to reduce
- To die fertility And power to improve
- Healthier look and more attractive to act
- To die physical fitness increase
- others through passive smoke nothing more bad
- Moreover check earn on your own life
- Moreover Money available to fulfill your wishes
The best ways to quit smoking:
- Remove all toolswhich are related to smoking from home. For example cigarette packs, loose tobacco, rolling papers, ashtrays, matches and lighters.
- Tell your family, friends and acquaintances than you stop smoking want.
- Think about what you are like difficult situations to react
- benefit medical therapies such as the smoking cessation hotline, nicotine replacement therapy or non-smoking groups.
Why do you get fat even if you quit smoking?
- Smoking increases energy expenditure, because the food consumed, especially fats and carbohydrates, is metabolized faster. The reason for this is that the nicotine contained in cigarettes for a faster conversion of food components He worries. This means that smokers consume around 200 kilocalories more per day than non-smokers.
- Nicotine has an appetite suppressing effect. A study proved this Nicotine attaches to certain receptors on nerve cells in the brain and then signals to the body that it is getting enough to eat.
- After quitting smoking, the The taste buds are again more sensitive. This can become one increased appetite and thus lead to increased food intake. At the same time, many former smokers tend to indulge in sweets or whatever Rewarding treats to quit smoking or to distract you from the desire for a cigarette.
Quitting smoking can cause you to gain weight for the reasons described above. On average you can with an average weight gain of up to four kilograms calculate after quitting smoking. However, whether and how much you gain weight largely depends on yours eating and exercise habits ab.
How to quit smoking without gaining weight
The fact is, it’s never too late to quit smoking. The damage to health and those of unintentionally passive smokers are enormous and avoidable. However, anyone wishing to quit smoking must be aware that they must wean themselves from nicotine addiction. And this can with side effects such as nervousness, desire to smoke, irritability and sleep problems. However, weight gain after quitting smoking can be avoided if the following tips are observed:
- Support your decision
- Quitting smoking only makes sense if you you choose to do it of your own free will – with all the negative side effects that can occur. Make sure you know which one from the start health benefit quitting smoking means to you. Perhaps then you can more easily accept a few extra pounds that could end up on your hips and that you may eventually lose again.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and low in sugar
- Already trying lose weight before quitting smoking and increase your vitamin intake. At best, you should seek professional nutrition advice, who will advise you accordingly.
- To counteract the increased appetite, you should consider adequate measures to stop the first cravings. For example, by drinking a glass of water, learning mindful breathing techniques, or having pieces of fruit and vegetables on hand.
- You also prefer rich in vitamins and fiber how low-fat and low-sugar foods to you. This keeps the blood sugar level stable and avoids food cravings. Dietary fibers increase by their enormous swelling properties the feeling of satiety. However, you should be careful here enough to drinkto avoid constipation. Suitable foods include oatmeal, wholemeal bread, legumes, fruits and vegetables.
- Eat carefully and avoid large portions
- take you enough time to eat with pleasure and slowly. This way you will know in time when you are full.
- to make sure no more calories to take compared to before quitting smoking.
- Don’t overeat at once, eat distribute your meals up to five smaller portions per day.
- Mache no dietsbecause the reduced food intake forces your body to take countermeasures which lead to a Jo-Jo effect to be able to drive.
- Increase your sports schedule and move more in everyday life
- Physical activity helps you burns extra calories.
- In stressful situations, exercise can help you release pent-up energy and the reduce cravings for sweets. Endurance sports such as hiking, cycling, Nordic walking, swimming or cross-country skiing are particularly suitable.
- Try more movement in everyday life to incorporate, for example, using multiple stairs, cycling, taking a walk in the evening or having a drink new hobby you are looking for something that makes you happy and distracts you from smoking.
- join relaxation techniques like yoga, qi gong or tai chi. They can help you become more aware of your body and reduce stress.
- Avoid sweets as a “substitute drug”
- are common Stressful phase or certain situations associated with reaching for a cigarette. The cell phone rings, the next appointment is pending and the usual after-dinner cigarette brings back old cravings. how Surrogate so they often have to serve sweet or savory treats that make calorie intake skyrocket.
- Try during times of stress low calorie alternatives found, such as pieces of vegetables or fruit, sugar-free candies or chewing gum.
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Too little sleep can make the body safer Hormone pay the increase appetite. Therefore, ensure a good sleeping atmosphere in the bedroom with few distractions and make sure you get enough sleep.
- One night’s sleep duration seven to eight hours keep your hormones in balance.
To die negative effects of smoking they are becoming more and more aware. Therefore, many smokers would like to give up nicotine addiction, but are afraid of it possible weight gain after quitting smoking. However, if you nutrition keep an eye out adequate “emergency measures” think for yourself move enough e On Relaxation And enough sleep If you pay attention, you have a good chance of countering weight gain.