During a bull market, many altcoins can make much larger profits than Bitcoin itself: Solana, Polkadot, FTT, and Avalanche outperformed BTC by more than 10x in 2021 in some cases. But what about the long term?
Who survived the bear market after 2017?
Anyone who has been around since 2017 or more can surely remember some of the big names of the time: NEM, Qtum, Verge, Nano, Lisk, OmiseGO or ICON, Stratis, Ark and Siacoin. However, they no longer played a significant role in the 2021 bull run. The “blue chips” among Altcoin projects such as Ethereum, Ripple or Cardano were already represented at that time and will have to face the confrontation with Bitcoin in this analysis – with results surprising.
Let’s start with one of the biggest surprises: Ethereum. Anyone who bought the low in December 2018 made more percentage gains up to the all-time high of November 2021 compared to Bitcoin, but from the all-time high to the all-time high ETH loses a whopping 43% against BTC measured in satoshi.
We continue with the December 2017 issue 2, XRP. Things are far worse for the altcoin here. XRP hit its all-time high against Bitcoin in May 2017. Compared to May 2021, it dropped dramatically by 84% and the trend is still down.
you read too
It was even worse for then No. 3, Bitcoin Cash (BCH). From November 2017 to November 2021, almost -98% was recorded here. The comparison for ADA is slightly milder. Therefore n. 4 by market capitalization, while it made fantastic gains against the US dollar from 2020 to 2021, its relative high against Bitcoin in August 2021 is still 29% lower than in 2017.
Bitcoin surpasses (almost) all of them!
And there’s not even a winner in sight in the next places of the best performers of the era: Litecoin has continually lost Satoshi’s value from its all-time high in 2014 and is 95% lower at press time. IOTA, NEM, DASH, Stellar, Monero and EOS – all lose between 99 and 84% against the major digital currency.
Which Altcoin Performs Better Than Bitcoin?
The list of losers to Bitcoin could go on and on. But now to the winners of this comparison. Because they exist, the altcoins, which since 2017 have been able to increase their satoshi value.
- Binance Coin BNB gained a whopping 572% compared to BTC from January 2018 to May 2021, and as of press time it’s still 472% higher than it was then. This makes BNB one of the best performing assets in the crypto space and has already demonstrated and sustained this strength through a bear market.
Set up a bitcoin and cryptocurrency savings plan
Invest regularly in Bitcoin and benefit from the medium to long term cost effect. We will show you how.
- The Dogecoin (DOGE) hoax, which started out as a pastiche of Bitcoin, has actually always been on the side of BTC since its creation in 2013. In early 2021, however, this altcoin has undergone a huge increase, gaining over 1,000 percent from its all-time high of BTC in May from January 2018. Since then, however, Satoshi’s value has dropped 77 percent again and the Elon Musk hype appears to have been behind this incredibly strong rise more than actual substance. .
- The “Oracle” Chainlink has much more substance. From January 2018 to August 2020, LINK was able to earn an astronomical 1,620 percent against BTC. After reaching this peak, however, a downward trend began, but it has still been up 240% since then.
- Filecoin (FIL) was still able to increase its satoshi value in 2021 compared to January 2018, but at the time of writing it was down 93%.
- AAVE also had a bullish performance in 2021, marking its all-time high against BTC in May 2021, up 455% from January 2018. Currently, however, the AAVE is back almost exactly to this level.
- The THETABTC shows a similar chart picture, but a little stronger. From January 2018 to June 2021, it was up 890 percent against BTC. Since then, however, 78 percent has gone down again and more than three-quarters of the outperformance has been canceled out again.
Do you want to buy Bitcoin (BTC)?
- Enjin Coin (ENJ) can also boast a very stable performance compared to Bitcoin and is therefore one of the strongest projects in the crypto space. Certainly, this altcoin has benefited from the NFT hype of the past year. From January 2018 to November 2021, it increased 145% against BTC. After that, however, it also dropped significantly again, currently one is moving 34% below the 2018 ATH.
- The latest altcoin in this long-term high-performance round is MANA (Decentraland). From January 2018 to November 2021, BTC was able to outperform by 428%. The correction has since then been 61 percent, but this project still looks relatively strong.
Each bull run has its best results among altcoins eclipsing Bitcoin. Very few, however, have enough substance to be able to hold out over the long term or even through a bear market like 2018-2019. The top gainers of 2021 will just have to face this test now. And with a look at history, the prognosis is bold that very few will surpass it.
This article does not constitute investment advice, but merely technical chart observations regarding the past. Past considerations are not a guarantee for future developments. The author holds many of the cryptocurrencies mentioned in this article.
Do you want to buy Bitcoin (BTC)?
We show you the best providers where you can buy and sell Bitcoins in minutes.