Tremors at 1. FC Kaiserslautern after the expulsion of Antwerp
1. FC Kaiserslautern first eliminate the conjectures and then clarify them. The sacking of manager Marco Antwerpen and the succession plan with Dirk Schuster caused much turmoil at the club before the relegation against Dresden. The first resignations arrived.
AndIt can be assumed that the dismissal caught the 1 manager off guard. FC Kaiserslautern. Despite all the conflicts with the management of the club that have been boiling for some time, the controversies with the ds Thomas Hengen that have been going on for weeks behind the scenes.
But if you empty your locker a week before the relegation matches against Dynamo Dresden, you have to make room for Dirk Schuster and classify your relationship with the team as unreserved, you probably don’t understand the world anymore. Marco Antwerp In any case, “Sport 1” spoke of a “crazy decision” that upset him: “I don’t know why this person is doing it.”
That person is Thomas Hengen. According to the club, which took a deep look at his simple lack of emotion, this was done “after a thorough analysis of the current situation”. In fact, it is not necessarily in favor of Antwerp. Kaiserslautern had lost their last three games of the season with a goal difference of 2: 7, thus wasting the spot of direct promotion and ending the season in third place. In the 2-0 defeat at Viktoria Köln on Sunday, FCK showed obvious weaknesses in defense and acted largely without ideas in attack.
In the pre-match press conference in Cologne, Antwerp gave a one-minute monologue in which he praised his team’s performance throughout the season and the support of the fans, but also expressed self-criticism about some of his behavior on the sidelines. In retrospect, his statement should be interpreted as a farewell speech.
The supervisory board of the 1. FC Kaiserslautern draws the consequences
However, the expulsion caused a tremor in the club. For example, Fritz Fuchs, a member of the supervisory board and advisory board of the KG at FCK, subsequently resigned from his posts. Football, Fuchs said, was “a very common affair. In this sport, as in life, it is not possible without the principle of clarity / truth. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the decision is wrong. I’m sorry for Marco Antwerpen and Frank Döpper (The assistant coach of Antwerp, the editorial team). They have taken care of FCK in the best possible way and have achieved the most success since the club joined the third division. It’s even sadder when it has to end like this. “
The separation from Antwerp is also controversially discussed among the fans, the FCK have long since again had a huge influx of spectators. The biggest fan forum in Lautern is called “Der Betze brennt”, the title has lost its relevance only in rare stages. Operator Thomas Hilmes says: “Fans reacted very shocked and sometimes irritated to the expulsion of Marco Antwerpen. He led FCK from a relegation to a promotion seat and was also a favorite with the public due to his a little rough nature “.
Antwerp’s successor Schuster will be in charge of training this Wednesday and then preparing for the relegation matches on 20 and 24 May. He should stay even if promotion to the second division goes wrong. In his coaching career so far, the 54-year-old has worked for Stuttgarter Kickers, Darmstadt 98, FC Augsburg and most recently FC Erzgebirge Aue. With Darmstadt, Schuster managed to get promoted from the 3rd division to the Bundesliga. Assistant coach Sascha Franz will join him at Betzenberg.
Antwerp took over the four-time German champions on February 1, 2021 as Jeff Saibene’s successor, saved FCK from their fall in the regional championship, and was highly regarded by fans. Over the past few weeks, sports director Thomas Hengen has kept a low profile on a possible extension of the contract for Antwerp and only talked about an option that the 50-year-old’s contract would be automatically extended in the event of promotion.
According to speculations, former national player Miroslav Klose would be swapped as a possible successor. The Cologne “Express” reported that the name Klose had made the rounds on the sidelines of the Viktoria-Köln match. There should have been some loose contact at the end of April.
Antwerp councilor Stefan Backs had already criticized the club’s management before the split. If all of this is true, it is, to put it mildly, surprising how you face a manager who not only saved Lautern from relegation, who was believed to be safe, but also allowed the most successful third division season in history to be played. ” , Backs told Sport1.
Hengen had previously used a rumor that Antwerp were about to move to Schalke 04 as an opportunity to escalate the conflict with his manager. “Rumors so spread deliberately fit the picture the club is currently creating. I didn’t think a professional club that could still be promoted to the second division would be so chaotic,” said Backs.
Antwerp had speculated that they would remain on Betzenberg on Tuesday morning. In a phone call with Hengen, according to information from the BILD, he would have learned of his departure.